May is BIKE MONTH
Larry P Wasser | Published on 4/10/2023
2023 Bike Month Schedule
- HBC Sunday Morning Sociable Ride: Every Sunday 7:15 a.m. City Island in the parking lot near the Walnut Street Bridge for a casual 8-10 mph ride. Optional breakfast to follow the ride at Roxy’s Café, 2774 North Street, Harrisburg.
- Friday Lunch Rides: Offered by Harrisburg Bicycle Club every Friday at 10:00 a.m. from Five Bridges Health and Fitness, 4450 Oakhurst Blvd, Harrisburg. 30-40 miles @ 12-13 mph pace. www.harrisburgbicycleclub.org
- Capital Area Greenbelt Ride: May 7, 1:00 p.m. Meet at the trailhead behind the City Line Diner, 3302 Derry St. This 20 mile ride goes at a casual pace (10-11 mph) and may stop at points of interest along the way.
- Bike to School Day is May 3.
- Bicycle Fix-It at the Broad Street Market, May 14: 10:00 a.m. -1:00 p.m. Recycle Bicycle will do free bicycle repair while teaching applied physics and the importance of further education for our youth. Promote bicycle safety and more bicycle infrastructure.
- Bike to Work Week: May 15-21 – Ride your bike to work. It’s a wonderful way to get exercise, save money and go green. Log your commute with www.pacommuterservices.org/bike/ and win prizes.
It would be ideal if everyone could ride to work from home, but we recognize that isn’t possible due to distance and the difficulty of finding safe route. Consider taking the bus (they all have bike racks), or driving close to your destination and biking the rest of the way. Don’t forget about SusqueCycle Bike Share! https://www.tcrpc-pa.org/susquecycle-regional-bike-share
- Ghost Bikes at the Capitol, Wed. May 17.All day. One white bike is placed on the Capitol steps for each rider who has died while biking in PA during the last year.
- International Ride of Silence, Wed. May 17. This slow, silent ride starts at the USMC parking lot 2995 Green Street, Harrisburg, PA at 6:30 pm and the ride begins at 7 pm. Riders go to the Capitol steps to recognize all the cyclists who were injured or killed on Pennsylvania roadways. The Ride of Silence is held on the same day in hundreds of locations all over the world.
- Bike to Work Day: Fri. May 19. Get your “I Biked to Work Today” badges in Harrisburg at 3rd and North Streets from 7:00 a.m. until 9:00 a.m. Roxy’s Café is offering a complimentary beverage to all riders. Follow Bike Harrisburg on Facebook for details.
- Join the Bike to Work Day trains from the West and East Shores on May 19:
East Shore: Meet at the Susquehanna Township Building, 1900 Linglestown Road, Harrisburg at 8:00 a.m. and ride to 3rd Streets and North Streets in Harrisburg.
West Shore: Meet at the Goodwill Store at State and 12th Streets in Lemoyne (West Shore Plaza) at 8:00 a.m. to ride to Front Street in Harrisburg.
- HBC Friday Night Social Ride: Fri., May 19 - 6:15 p.m. Park at the HACC Midtown Campus parking lot on Reily Street between 3rd and 4th Streets in Harrisburg. We’ll take a 15 mile tour around the quiet streets of Harrisburg. Dinner afterwards at the Broad Street Market. Bring a folding chair. It’s 3rd in the Burg, so take time to check out the other special events happening in the City. http://thirdintheburg.org
- Free Valet Bike Parking at the Harrisburg Arts Festival: May 27-29, Riverfront Park. Valet parking will be set up at Front and Forster Streets, also Front and Walnut Streets, Courtesy of Recycle Bicycle. Bike to the festival and save $!
- SAMBA Parkway Mountain Bike Trails and Rides Check at www.Sambabiker.com for more information about trails, work days and group rides.
- United Nations World Bicycle Day, June 3. Tricycle or tandem- Cycle your troubles away on World Bicycle Day. This day celebrates the bicycle as a sustainable and reliable form of transportation. https://www.un.org/en/observances/bicycle-day
- The Tour de Belt! Sun., June 4. Have a great time on your bike while supporting the beautiful Capital Area Greenbelt, the emerald necklace that circles Harrisburg. This year you can choose from a virtual ride or the main event on June 4. Details at http://caga.org/tour-de-belt/