The latest round of the HATS Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Count Program is here. We appreciate the help we’ve gotten for this effort over the years. Due to the impacts of covid-19, we postponed the usual Spring counts…until now. If you plan on helping out this summer, please be sure to adhere to PA Dept of Health guidelines when doing so.
The data collected has been used in studies and analyses throughout the region, such as the Camp Hill to Capital Corridor study and the Route 39 Corridor study. This effort depends on the help of people like you, and be assured it is greatly appreciated.
As always, please feel free to post the following information (and links) to any social media or website of a group you think would be interested in participating. You can also get it touch with me, and I can reach out directly.
All the information and links necessary to help can be found at TCRPC’s Bike/Ped Planning Page, or at the links below.
The SUMMER 2020 HATS Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Counts will take place during the following dates and times:
· Sunday, August 9, 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
· Tuesday, August 11, 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
· Wednesday, August 12, 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
· Thursday, August 13, 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
· Saturday, August 15, 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
The counts are being done as part of the National Bicycle and Pedestrian Documentation project. For more information on NBPD in general, click here.
To perform the counts:
- Print out the counting form (click here to download form) and bring other necessary items (pen/pencil, timer, etc).
- Arrive at your designated location approximately 15 minutes before you are to begin counting.
- Find a spot from which you can best view the entire intersection.
- Count and record cyclists, pedestrians, and “others” (skateboarders, rollerbladers) as they enter the intersection on the form in 15 minute increments.
- When finished, simply scan or photograph the completed count form and email it to HATSBikePedCounts@gmail.com.
To view training slides on how to conduct bicycle and pedestrian counts, click here.
To view a list of the locations, with Google Maps links for each, click here.
Anyone interested in signing up should visit our SignUpGenius page by clicking here.
If you have any questions, please contact Andrew Bomberger.
Andrew Bomberger, AICP
Tri-County Regional Planning Commission
112 Market Street, 2nd Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17101
P: 717-234-2639 | M: 717-968-1276