The Harrisburg Bicycle Club Forums are a great way to communicate ad-hoc or short notice ride events. They also provide a way for ride leaders or coordinators to share information about planned routes and for ride cancellations.
NOTE: to subscribe to one of these lists follow the instructions at the bottom of this page. You will be unable to receive from the list unless you are subscribed. The Forum Moderator can add you so that you may post to the forum (Ride Leader). You need to contact the Forum Ride Coordinator to have yourself added.
The following are the “Email only" ride lists (E.R). These are rides that are scheduled on an ad-hoc basis and are generally NOT published on the website calendar. When you post to the Forum associated with the ride, every member that is subscribed to the Forum will receive an email from you regarding the information you posted. Go to with Club Information or Ride Information on the website and click on Forums to find the associated Forum for the below rides:
1. Learn to Linger (Learning to Linger Email Ride Forum): These rides are for those interested in a more leisurely pace and are scheduled in an ad-hoc fashion. The pace runs D to D plus ( 8-12 mph), with distances 8 – 25 miles. Check the notice for leader name, exact pace and distance.
2. Silver Spokes (Silver Spokes Email Ride Forum) The Silver Spokes are a group of bicyclists who ride on Wednesdays. All are members of Harrisburg Bicycle Club and most are retired, hence a ride scheduled during the day. They schedule rides of 25 to 45 miles most of the year, and keep the pace to 12-14 mph. In keeping with HBC tradition, they often have lunch together after the rides
3. West Shore Weekends (West Shore Weekends Email Ride Forum): These rides are scheduled on the West Shore and have an average pace of around 12-15 mph. They are usually around 50 to 100 miles and stress the Joy of Riding verses training, how high can we climb and how fast can we go. They feature multiple starting points when possible, for various mileages on the same ride. They run year round with lower mileages in the colder months. They aren't necessarily every week, but instead scheduled when someone has the time to plan and lead a ride. There are occasional rides at remote starts. Cindy Gorski is the coordinator. Rides usually start from Joe Carr Field which is located next to the Monroe Township Building located at 1220 Boiling Springs Road, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055.
4. Saturday Morning Rides (Saturday C and Saturday Morning C+ Email Ride Forums): The Saturday C and the Saturday Morning C+ rides are now going to be e-mail rides. Chris Wright is now the coordinator for the Saturday C and Robert Martin will coordinate the Saturday Morning C+ ride.
5. Carlisle Area C Rides (Carlisle Area C Email Ride Forum): The Carlisle Area C rides will normally ride on most (but not all) Thursdays at 6 PM, leaving from the Carlisle Commons Regal Theater parking lot off Noble Blvd in Carlisle. They may also ride occasionally on Tuesdays. The goal of these rides are to get cyclists who are unaccustomed to group riding comfortable riding in a group. The pace is a casual C (10 – 13 mph) with distances generally 15 – 30 miles. Stops are every 10 - 15 miles, more if necessary. No one will be dropped.
6. Friday Night Social (Friday Night Email Ride Forum): The Friday Night Socials are held throughout the core cycling system as scheduled. NOTE: they are not held every Friday, depending upon availability of Ride Leaders. Join this Forum list and check the website to receive the most up-to-date information. When held, these are typically casual, relatively short (10-15 mile) rides followed by dinner at a restaurant in the area (location varies).
7. EZ-C (EZ-C Email Ride Forum): An EZ-C ride is available for the novice, veteran or someone who just doesn't want to ride fast or extreme distances. Ride will typically take place Saturday Mornings at 9 AM. Notification of scheduled rides is through e-mail and cancellations are by 8 AM the morning of the ride. Veteran ride leaders will lead the rides and assist in group riding and any breakdowns. Breaks will be frequent and as necessary with no one left behind. You need to go to the HBC Website and sign-up for the EZ-C Forum to receive notifications or cancellations of the ride.
8. Mary's Meanderings D Ride (Mary’s Meandering Email Ride Forum): Saturday or Sunday "ad hoc" social rides (not EVERY week) in which we carpool/caravan to a trail/route outside the immediate metropolitan Harrisburg area or have weekend camping/biking adventures. Travel to venues will range from 45 minutes to 3 hours away.
9. Family Rides: These rides will be geared toward families looking for a safe environment for riding, such as trails and quiet residential streets. Location, times, ride distance and pace can vary.
10. Saturday Morning D+ Ride (Saturday Morning D+ Email Ride Forum): These social rides are D Plus (9-11mph) and typically approximately 15-20 miles in distance. Rides usually leave from the Grantville area, though other east shore start locations are occasionally used. These rides are available for riders who don't want fast speeds or long distances. Breaks are frequent and no one gets left behind.
11. East Shore Flex (East Shore Flex Email Ride Forum): These social rides are email rides that allow the ride leader to select speed, distance, terrain and starting point. Subscribe to this Forum to receive an email for an upcoming ride. Who knows maybe the next upcoming ride will be exactly what you have been looking for from the club!
12. West Shore Flex (West Shore Flex Email Ride Forum): These social rides are email rides that allow the ride leader to select speed, distance, terrain and starting point. Subscribe to this Forum to receive an email for an upcoming ride. Who knows maybe the next upcoming ride will be exactly what you have been looking for from the club!
13. Mount Holly Springs Ride (Mount Holly Springs Email Ride Forum): These rides are scheduled to start and end in Mount Holly Springs and have an average pace of around 15-17 mph. C+ riders wanting to try B class rides are welcome. They will be 25-50+ miles with an elevation gain around 1000 feet for each 25 miles, follow most of the Three Creek Century Ride Courses, and are not for the hard core trainers. They may feature multiple starting points to maximize participation and overall mileage for the rider. There will be 4 rides per week; Tuesday Hills (evening at 5pm), Wednesday Easy (evening at 5pm), Thursday Moderate (evening at 5pm), and Sunday (morning 8am) being the longest ride. They will be weekly until the Three Creek Century Ride in September and then taper off depending on ride leader availability and temperature; with no rides in the dark or subfreezing temps. Andrew Dapkins is the coordinator. Rides start at Trine Memorial Park, next to Mt. Holly Spring United Methodist, and located at 300 West Pine Street, Mount Holly Springs, PA 17065.
14. Lenker Park C+ (Lenker Park Email Ride Forum) : These B rides leave from Lenker Park usually on Tuesday evenings.
Following are the “Scheduled Regular" rides lists (S.R). These are rides that are scheduled on a regular recurring basis (such as every Monday at 6 PM, etc.):
Of particular importance is the cancellation notice, which will automatically go to these distribution lists if the ride leaders cancels a ride on the website due to weather conditions. In addition, at the discretion of the leader, additional information may sometimes be sent out in advance of the ride. Check the website calendar for the current schedule of these and all HBC rides. It is highly recommended that you Register for these rides via the Event Calendar by going into the Event and clicking on the Register Now Button on the Right hand side of the screen. This will allow you to be notified when the Ride Leader Cancels the Ride.
1. Carlisle Action C+ (Carlisle Action C+ Scheduled Ride Forum): This list is for members who are interested in information related to the Carlisle Action rides which typically are scheduled on Sunday mornings, and leave from the K-Mart in Carlisle. They are classified as C+ and usually are in the 14-15 mph range and 25-35 miles.
2. Upper Allen C (Upper Allen Friendship Park C Scheduled Ride Forum), C+ (Upper Allen Friendship Park C+ Scheduled Ride Forum), D (Upper Allen Friendship Park D Scheduled Ride Forum) Rides: This list is for members who are interested in information related to the rides which typically are scheduled on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and leave from the Upper Allen Friendship Park.
3. Mechanicsburg Weekend C (Mechanicsburg Weekend C Scheduled Ride Forum): These rides leave from the Mechanicsburg High School on Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons. NOTE: the Mechanicsburg HS C and Upper Allen Friendship Park C rides share a common email list.
4. Hershey C (Hershey C Scheduled Ride Forum), C+ (Hershey C+ Scheduled Ride Forum) , B (Hershey B Scheduled Ride Forum), B+ (Hershey B+ Scheduled Ride Forum) and Hershey A Scheduled Ride Forum Rides:. This list is for members who are interested in information related to the rides which typically are scheduled on Monday and Thursday evenings, and leave from the Briarcrest Square in Hershey.
5. Linglestown Kellytron Rides (Linglestown Kellytron Scheduled Ride Forum): These are "Fast" A rides leaving from Linglestown Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
6. Owen's Sunday Morning Socials (Owen’s Sunday Sociable D Scheduled Ride Forum): These Sunday Morning rides start at City Island and usually include breakfast.
7. Greenbelt "First Sunday" (First Sunday Greenbelt Scheduled Ride Forum): This is a D (10 mph average speed) ride on the Harrisburg Greenbelt which takes place the first Sunday of every month.
8. East Shore Tuesday (East Shore Tuesday Scheduled Ride Forum): This is a C ride that will leave from various East Shore locations such as Lenker Park, Fort Hunter, etc. Please check the calendar, contact the ride leader and/or subscribe to the email distribution list to find out where the start points will occur. This ride will occur at 6pm every Tuesday throughout the Regular Ride season of April-September.
9. Camp Hill D (Camp Hill D Scheduled Ride Forum): This is a D ride that will leave from the parking lot across the street from the Camp Hill Boro Building on Wednesday evenings at 6pm. The ride will occur from April through October. Depending on the level of the riders we have options. If the riders are not too confident yet we can stay within Camp Hill and zig and zag around. If the riders are more accomplished we can cross the Bypass and go into Hampden, or continue South into New Cumberland, or continue into other municipalities around the area.
NEW: We now have an "Advocacy” list (Advocacy Forum) that will be used to share advocacy related information. This list is open to any member to join and any member can also send to the list. Use this list as a means to share time-relevant information about pending legislation, community bicycling or recreational trail updates or events like the "Bike Month" held every May.
Note: you must be an HBC member to be added to these Forums. This ensures that our insurance coverage is in effect, and is an added benefit of being a member of the HBC!
To subscribe OR unsubscribe to one of these Forums, simply follow these steps:
1. Login to the website using your username and password. If you have forgotten your username or password, click on the "forgot My Username/Password" link below the website Login box.
2. One you log in, click on the White Down arrow up in the Right Hand corner of the webpage by your name. Look for Profile and click on that.
3. Click on Additional Member Data under Personal Info.
4. Select the drop down box and Select “Yes” for the Forums you wish to join.
5. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the “Save” button.
6. That’s it, you should now start receiving emails when members post into the Forums you just subscribed to.
If you lead rides and would like to add a new email distribution list, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
If you have any questions, send an email to email@example.com