The Harrisburg Bicycle Club Forums are a great way to communicate ad-hoc or short notice ride events. They also provide a way for ride leaders or coordinators to share information about planned routes and for ride cancellations.
NOTE: to subscribe to one of these lists follow the instructions at the bottom of this page. You will be unable to receive from the list unless you are subscribed. The Forum Moderator can add you so that you may post to the forum (Ride Leader). You need to contact the Forum Ride Coordinator to have yourself added.
The following are the “Email only" ride lists (E.R). These are rides that are scheduled on an ad-hoc basis and are generally NOT published on the website calendar. When you post to the Forum associated with the ride, every member that is subscribed to the Forum will receive an email from you regarding the information you posted. Go to with Club Information or Ride Information on the website and click on Forums to find the associated Forum for the below rides:
1. Learn to Linger (Learning to Linger Email Ride Forum): These rides are for those interested in a more leisurely pace and are scheduled in an ad-hoc fashion. The pace runs D to D plus ( 8-12 mph), with distances 8 – 25 miles. Check the notice for leader name, exact pace and distance.
2. Silver Spokes (Silver Spokes Email Ride Forum) The Silver Spokes are a group of bicyclists who ride on Wednesdays. All are members of Harrisburg Bicycle Club and most are retired, hence a ride scheduled during the day. They schedule rides of 25 to 45 miles most of the year, and keep the pace to 12-14 mph. In keeping with HBC tradition, they often have lunch together after the rides
3. West Shore Weekends (West Shore Weekends Email Ride Forum): These rides are scheduled on the West Shore and have an average pace of around 12-15 mph. They are usually around 50 to 100 miles and stress the Joy of Riding verses training, how high can we climb and how fast can we go. They feature multiple starting points when possible, for various mileages on the same ride. They run year round with lower mileages in the colder months. They aren't necessarily every week, but instead scheduled when someone has the time to plan and lead a ride. There are occasional rides at remote starts. Cindy Gorski is the coordinator. Rides usually start from Joe Carr Field which is located next to the Monroe Township Building located at 1220 Boiling Springs Road, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055.
4. Saturday Morning Rides (Saturday C and Grantville C+ Email Ride Forums): The Saturday C and the Saturday Morning C+ rides are now going to be e-mail rides. Chris Wright is now the coordinator for the Saturday C and Robert Martin will coordinate the Saturday Morning C+ ride.
5. Friday Night Social (Friday Night Email Ride Forum): The Friday Night Socials are held throughout the core cycling system as scheduled. NOTE: they are not held every Friday, depending upon availability of Ride Leaders. Join this Forum list and check the website to receive the most up-to-date information. When held, these are typically casual, relatively short (10-15 mile) rides followed by dinner at a restaurant in the area (location varies).
6. Family Rides: These rides will be geared toward families looking for a safe environment for riding, such as trails and quiet residential streets. Location, times, ride distance and pace can vary.
7. Saturday Morning D+ Ride (Saturday Morning D+ Email Ride Forum): These social rides are D Plus (9-11mph) and typically approximately 15-20 miles in distance. Rides usually leave from the Grantville area, though other east shore start locations are occasionally used. These rides are available for riders who don't want fast speeds or long distances. Breaks are frequent and no one gets left behind.
8. East Shore Flex (East Shore Flex Email Ride Forum): These social rides are email rides that allow the ride leader to select speed, distance, terrain and starting point. Subscribe to this Forum to receive an email for an upcoming ride. Who knows maybe the next upcoming ride will be exactly what you have been looking for from the club!
9. West Shore Flex (West Shore Flex Email Ride Forum): These social rides are email rides that allow the ride leader to select speed, distance, terrain and starting point. Subscribe to this Forum to receive an email for an upcoming ride. Who knows maybe the next upcoming ride will be exactly what you have been looking for from the club!
10. Saturday West Shore D Ride (Saturday West Shore D Email Ride Forum): These social rides are D (8-10mph) and typically approximately 8-15 miles in distance. Rides will leave from the West shore at varying locations. These rides are available for riders who don't want fast speeds or long distances. Breaks are frequent and no one gets left behind.
Following are the “Scheduled Regular" rides lists (S.R). These are rides that are scheduled on a regular recurring basis (such as every Monday at 6 PM, etc.):
Of particular importance is the cancellation notice, which will automatically go to these distribution lists if the ride leaders cancels a ride on the website due to weather conditions. In addition, at the discretion of the leader, additional information may sometimes be sent out in advance of the ride. Check the website calendar for the current schedule of these and all HBC rides. It is highly recommended that you Register for these rides via the Event Calendar by going into the Event and clicking on the Register Now Button on the Right hand side of the screen. This will allow you to be notified when the Ride Leader Cancels the Ride.
1. Carlisle Action C+ (Carlisle Action C+ Scheduled Ride Forum): This list is for members who are interested in information related to the Carlisle Action rides which typically are scheduled on Sunday mornings, and leave from the K-Mart in Carlisle. They are classified as C+ and usually are in the 14-15 mph range and 25-35 miles.
2. Upper Allen C (Upper Allen Friendship Park C Scheduled Ride Forum), C+ (Upper Allen Friendship Park C+ Scheduled Ride Forum), D (Upper Allen Friendship Park D Scheduled Ride Forum) B (Upper Allen Friendship Park B Scheduled Ride Forum) Rides: This list is for members who are interested in information related to the rides which typically are scheduled on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and leave from the Upper Allen Friendship Park.
3. Mechanicsburg Weekend C (Mechanicsburg Weekend C Scheduled Ride Forum): These rides leave from the Mechanicsburg High School on Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons. NOTE: the Mechanicsburg HS C and Upper Allen Friendship Park C rides share a common email list.
4. Hershey C (Hershey C Scheduled Ride Forum), C+ (Hershey C+ Scheduled Ride Forum) , B (Hershey B Scheduled Ride Forum), B+ (Hershey B+ Scheduled Ride Forum) and Hershey A Scheduled Ride Forum Rides:. This list is for members who are interested in information related to the rides which typically are scheduled on Monday and Thursday evenings, and leave from the Briarcrest Square in Hershey.
5. Owen's Sunday Morning Socials (Owen’s Sunday Sociable D Scheduled Ride Forum): These Sunday Morning rides start at City Island and usually include breakfast.
6. Greenbelt "First Sunday" (First Sunday Greenbelt Scheduled Ride Forum): Social -- "For the cyclist who wants distance with an easy pace. Generally flat terrain with a few hills and low traffic roads as much as possible. Average speed 10mph, occasionally faster on flat stretches, distances vary. Frequent stops. No rider is dropped. Pace: 10mph.
7. East Shore Tuesday (East Shore Tuesday Scheduled Ride Forum): This is a C ride that will leave from various East Shore locations such as Lenker Park, Fort Hunter, etc. Please check the calendar, contact the ride leader and/or subscribe to the email distribution list to find out where the start points will occur. This ride will occur at 6pm every Tuesday throughout the Regular Ride season of April-September.
NEW: We now have an "Advocacy” list (Advocacy Forum) that will be used to share advocacy related information. This list is open to any member to join and any member can also send to the list. Use this list as a means to share time-relevant information about pending legislation, community bicycling or recreational trail updates or events like the "Bike Month" held every May.
Note: you must be an HBC member to be added to these Forums. This ensures that our insurance coverage is in effect, and is an added benefit of being a member of the HBC!
To subscribe OR unsubscribe to one of these Forums, simply follow these steps:
1. Login to the website using your username and password. If you have forgotten your username or password, click on the "forgot My Username/Password" link below the website Login box.
2. One you log in, click on the White Down arrow up in the Right Hand corner of the webpage by your name. Look for Profile and click on that.
3. Click on Additional Member Data under Personal Info.
4. Select the drop down box and Select “Yes” for the Forums you wish to join.
5. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the “Save” button.
6. That’s it, you should now start receiving emails when members post into the Forums you just subscribed to.
If you lead rides and would like to add a new email distribution list, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
If you have any questions, send an email to email@example.com